Sunday, August 5, 2007

FRG?

Finally...today I met someone from the FRG (Family Readiness Group). Hubby has been gone 5 months now and I met an FRG leader. Not the one from Hubby's company, but a different one from the same battalion. My Hubby's company is based pretty far away from here, plus they haven't met as of yet. This company is based within 20 miles of my home so I contacted the leader a few weeks ago to introduce myself. One newsletter came out a couple months ago, and in it she stated that anyone could contact her, regardless of the company they're affiliated with, so I did. We went to lunch. She seemed like a very nice woman and has a few plans in the works.
I'm not sure exactly what an FRG does, but I thought that it would be nice to meet someone nearby that had kids. I think the girls would like to meet other kids who's daddy's are deployed. There is picnic scheduled in a month for the entire battalion and we are planning on attending. I hope we meet some people that live nearby. The picnic is about a 2 hour drive from my home so I'm not sure how many families from my area will be attending. I don't mind driving, but it is a hindrance for some people.

The rest of the day went by quickly. The kids and I had a great swim after dinner. The pool was very warm. I had left the cover on for a few days and it was nice and toasty. I need to remove the cover tomorrow or it'll get too warm...then turn the color of pond scum. The chlorine level is impossible to maintain when it reaches too high of a temp. Happened to me once this summer already, and oh what a pain it is to get it back to crystal blue water. It sure is an ego crusher when a chemist can't maintain a pool!

Watched "Army Wives" on Lifetime tonight. I'm really getting into that show. I realize that it's basically just "Desperate Housewifes" on post and there are a lot of unrealistic things on the show, but I'm really enjoying it.

I began reading the book Portraits of theToughest Job in the Army, Voices and Faces of Modern Army Wives. My neighbor told me of a book her friend wrote, so I looked into it, ordered it from Amazon, and now I find myelf being interrupted every time I pick it up. Yes, I could read it right now, but as soon as I'm done typing, I'm back upstairs typing on my other computer so I get paid. Work is a little busy, I just needed a 10 minute break. I'm enjoying it so far, I'll write more when I am finished. One thing I don't agree with is the title. I think Hubby has it MUCH tougher. He misses me, the kids, home, good food, and people are trying to kill him.

Tomorrow's Monday...

3 comments:

liberal army wife said...

Yeah - Army Wives - Desperate Housewives on Ft.Bragg.... DH has been watching it with me whilst I blog on Standing By... he laughs more at what I tell him we are chatting about!

My FRG was a disaster..I hope yours is a ton better. a couple of other wives/moms got together and made our own, and did fun stuff together, mostly for the guys - did a Xmas cookie bake (over 5000 cookies!) to mail, and had fun doing it..

LAW

Susan said...

I wish I knew anyone in my Hubby's company. He never driiled with them and I have never met ANY of the families. Ther isn't a roster or anything, or I would call someone.
I just baked cookies to send, then found out that he's not going to be back for weeks to get mail. I can either freeze and send later, or eat them......

liberal army wife said...

freeze - send later - or break a tooth when having a snack attack.. IF you are in email contact with husband, ask him, if he gets a chance, to give you the name of your rear detachment NCO. This person SHOULD have a roster. IF they get pissy and won't give you a name, ask that your email address be given to someone who is in your area who is interested in getting in touch with others...

LAW