Friday, June 20, 2008

the Great Cookie Swap

Trying has posted a Great Cookie Swap. I would like to share a recipe for Nut Goodie Bars. Thy taste very much like the candy bar I would buy as a child. When I was young, my Aunt Helen would make these every Christmas. Now, I make them every year. They are very rich, so most people eat only a small bar, but I can eat the entire pan if I don't stop myself.

12 oz Chocolate Chips
12 oz butterscotch Chips
2 cups peanut butter
1/2 lb butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp maple flavoring
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 small pkg. vanilla pudding (not instant)
2 lbs powdered sugar
1 lb salted peanuts

Melt together chocolate and butterscotch chips and peanut butter. Pour half of the mixture into a large cake pan and refrigerate. Reserve the remainder for the top layer. Combine melted butter, pudding mix and milk over low heat for 1 minute. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and maple flavoring. Beat with electric mixer util well blended. Spread over cooled chocolate layer. Refrigerate 10 minutes. Add salted nuts to remaining chcolaate mixture and spread over second layer. Refrigerate. Cut into squares.


I've looked at other recipes linked over at Trying's place, and I can't wait to get cooking.

7 comments:

The Mrs. said...

oh those look good! i'm a sucker for peanut butter and anything in it. maybe when the boy goes off to college!

thanks for putting up a recipe! :)

Susan said...

Trying, sorry that you can't use the recipe now... I've been trying to think of a recipe that would be good, but almost everything I bake has eggs AND nuts in it :(
wait... I think I remember one... look for an update later

Anonymous said...

These sound delightful (and sinful) but delightful trumps sinful most any day :)

Bitter Betty said...

This sounds fab! Can't wait to try these out!

Buck said...

Dang. Those DO sound good!!

Bon said...

Woah. Yes please! I'll try these next week when LT is on leave with me.

Guard Wife said...

Oh, MAN!! You are making me hungry. I'll need to avoid these recipes for awhile...trying to lose that law school weight! :)