Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas

It's almost Christmas...
I just hung up from a video chat from Stuntman, great connection , it was like he was with me while I wrapped the gifts and set them under the tree. Usually he's the one that does all of that. I do the cooking.

We attended mass earlier in the evening, it was packed and we sat outside, the wind came up, a cold wind, a few people left, but it was bearable. I just kept thinking of all those around the world that cannot openly practice their faith and would love to be attending church under those conditions.
Cookies and milk are out for Santa, carrots for Rudolph, kids are snug in their beds.

I've already used my propane torch to glaze my budget version of Honeybaked Ham. Just as tasty (I've had many compliments on it), plus it's fun to take out the bern-o-matic.
I'm going to make monkey bread and my phyllo dough sausage egg bake for the morning. (recipe here) After opening our gifts here, we'll travel down to the inlaws to see Stuntman's sister and brothers and have brunch. I'm sure the kids will play all day.

I'll get cooking... the power just flickered off for a moment, it is windy outside.

Merry Christmas everyone!

*update* A recipe request was made for the ham. It is a less than $20 version of the $80 ham at the store, without the 2 hour wait.
1 fully cooked shank half ham, bone in (pre-sliced)
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash ground ginger
dash ground allspice
Mix sugar and spices together, coat the ham with the mixture. Place the ham on a pan, flat side down. Use a propane torch with a medium flame to caramelize the sugar , wave it slowly over the glaze so it bubbles, but doesn't burn. Repeat with additional sugar mixture and torch until it's just right. You will not use all of the sugar.
Eat cold, or reheat in the oven.

3 comments:

Rachelle Jones said...

Yummmy....

Hoping you and yours had a blessed day!

Thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and yes, I agree that considering how many folks don't have the luxury of freedom of religion I too would sit thru the not so perfect weather to worship our Lord on the Eve of his birth. I have always LOVED midnight mass! Hey, any chance of getting that recipe for the ham as well???

KL Grady said...

My own family has had a tradition since I was too wee to recall of eating Monkey Bread on Christmas morning. I've continued the tradition and have been known to horde boxes of non-instant butterscotch pudding since I've been stuck in cities where no store carried that key ingredient.

How cool to find someone else who does the same! My dad was a Marine, so maybe it's just a military thing that most people are mum about... :)

Hope your holidays were as wonderful as possible.