Friday, March 7, 2008

Legoland, take 2

Yesterday we went to Legoland in Carlsbad.
It was open. Stuntman didn't need to take a security guard hostage so we could enjoy the park.
The weather was perfect. It was warm enough so the girls could enjoy Pirate Shores, the little water park inside Legoland. E1 was soaked, but Stuntman bought a towel and she dried... eventually.
E3 is 34 inches tall and was able to ride several rides! He wasn't completely left out of the fun. His favorite was the safari ride. A little car that drives past Lego animals. We went on it 3 times in a row.
I have no idea how Legoland sustains itself. It was empty... the longest line was 5 minutes long, and many rides had no line at all. Sooooo much more enjoyable than crowded Disneyland. Disneyland is always crowded. I've been there weekdays, weekends, summer, winter, you name it... and it is always more crowded than the busiest that I have seen it at Legoland. Legoland isn't for everyone. I can see how it would be boring for kids over 12. Our kids love it. Some of the rides require you to move, so if you're lazy, it's not the park for you either. E1 really liked the Sky Cruiser. You need to pedal the car to move you along the roller coaster-type track. It was a lot of fun, but a workout too. I didn't feel so guilty eating that giant ice cream cone after that. Or after pumping the lever to race the fire truck down the track, and pumping the lever to squirt water to put out the "fire' at the Fun Town Fire Academy.

One odd thing that I noticed, is the different people that I saw at Legoland vs Disneyland. At Disneyland I felt very thin. There were so many large, obese families there. Not just a few. I've noticed that before, and I feel so insensitive even mentioning it. I'm not exactly the picture of fitness myself, but I saw way too many people that were just plain huge. Mom, dad, and all the kids too. When I see a small child that is so fat that he/she can barely walk, it saddens me. How do they gain so much in such a short time on this earth? I'm sure some are because of medical reasons, but not all!
At Legoland, I didn't see one obese family, not one. Odd.

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

You know we went to disney world about a year ago and I commented on the same exact thing to hubs and what I also noticed was that predominatly the larger folks were americans. Hubs, who travels all over the world constantly, said that the idea that Americans are overweight might have something to do with that.

I'm like you, not exactly the picture of fitness, but when you see it in such large numbers and such extremes its astounishing. Something needs to be done.

Buck said...

It surprises me somewhat that Legoland was virtually empty. My 11-year old has been twice, all the way from Colorado. Legoland is like Mecca to Muslims to him, and the boy has more Legos than I think is healthy...but that's just me.

As for obese families? That IS sad. I'm not being a bit hyperbolic when I say it's also something of a national security issue... along the lines of a significant percentage of the population can't qualify for military service. But I'll stop right here, right now. ;-)

Guard Wife said...

M2 would LOVE Legoland!!! Sounds like a lot of fun!