Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spring has sprung


Today we planted the garden. I've been living here in SoCal for 12+ years, and it still seems so odd to plant anything before Memorial Day. I picked up a few bags of soil and a couple tomato plants and the girls picked out a bunch of seeds. The girls (with a little help from E3) did all of the planting. E1 read all of the packages to see the depth and spacing recommended and then they planted everything. Seeds are pretty forgiving, we usually have a pretty successful garden. We have tomatoes, pea pods, carrots, watermelon, zucchini, parsley, and sunflowers. I'll pick up some potatoes and radishes to add to the mix soon.
I planted a few climbing vines along the fence on top of the hill, I hope they take root well and grow.
I've hit the gym every day this week. I didn't go at all when Stuntman was here. I didn't want to sacrifice any time with him. I gained a couple pounds over his visit, could just be hormonal, or could be because I ate more than usual, and didn't get any exercise except walking around theme parks and ummm some other type of exercise I had been missing for a year.
Monday morning brought a stack of FedEx packages to my front door. I'm back to work.... so I better get going.

6 comments:

Inquiries said...

Sounds like you guys had fun playing in the dirt.

Jan Wesner said...

Triple E - I have gained weight since Mark got home. Apparently, we must not be exercising enough, although I'm not sure we could do any more (wink, wink!)

Glad you enjoyed your time together. I think it's even harder when they leave the second time ...

Vypergirl said...

I wish we had room for a garden here! That would be so nice! Maybe I will try to put a couple of tomato plants in this year.

Hubby has actually been helping me with workouts! Which is good because otherwise I would give up. Hopefully I will keep losing weight! Been on a good plateau here lately though. But I am still trying! Have fun getting back to work!

Buck said...

Gardening is one of those things I really miss about my former life...when I stop and think about it. There's just something SO cool about going out and "picking dinner" when everything starts to come in during mid-summer... especially the corn! Gardening's a great activity for kids, too. Teaches a LOT, it does!

Susan said...

Amazingly, I'm doing fine with the second goodbye... maybe it hasn't hit me yet, or maybe I'm just trying not to think "we've been lucky so far... only a small fraction of time left..." I'm also in denial of this whole stoploss thing... his ETS date has changed, dramatically... I'll do a post on that in the future.
I do know that it's going to be really busy around here with end of school stuff, etc.., so hopefully the time will fly by.
As for the garden, the kids will eat anything if they grow it themselves, but their favorite snack from the garden is the peas. I grew up in a rural area surrounded by farms, and I want my kids to know that food doesn't just come from the store.

The Mrs. said...

Good for you for hitting the gym. You have more follow thru then I! I say blame the extra pounds on all the extra kisses! I'm sure if they dont melt off at the gym, yall will work them off when he comes home for good ; )

Have fun with your packages